Monday, 14 September 2026

Let the Record Speak

 

Let the Record Speak

Building an Authoritative Portfolio Through a Lifetime of Documentation

There comes a point in any creative or professional life when you have to stop looking at your work as a collection of individual pieces and start looking at the record that has been created.

For me, that moment has arrived.

For many years, I have described myself simply as an author, publisher, photographer or community worker. Each description is accurate, but individually they do not tell the whole story.

Looking back at the books, photographs, research, community documentation, publishing projects and archival material I have accumulated over decades, I can now see something much larger.

I have built a record.

Not deliberately as a strategy. Not because I set out to become an academic or institutional historian. It developed through involvement, observation, documentation, writing, publishing and a determination to preserve stories that I felt should not disappear.

And that has led to an unexpected position.

Author • Publisher • Community Historian

That is how I now think about my work.

Not because I have appointed myself an expert.

Rather, because the evidence of the work increasingly speaks for itself.


From participant to documentarian

My relationship with history began through participation.

I was involved in community and youth work, particularly within London's Bangladeshi and wider East End communities. I was not standing outside those communities looking in. I was involved in them.

That distinction matters.

I witnessed people, organisations, campaigns, political developments, community struggles, celebrations, changes in neighbourhoods and the lives of individuals.

I photographed.

I collected.

I wrote.

I remembered.

And eventually I began turning those experiences and records into books.

That created a journey:

lived experience → community documentation → photography → research → writing → publishing → archival preservation

The books are therefore not isolated publications.

Together, they form an evolving historical record.


One author — many fields

One of the things I have come to understand more clearly is the breadth of my own portfolio.

My books do not sit comfortably inside one genre.

They move across:

  • British Bangladeshi history
  • East End social history
  • migration and settlement
  • youth history and activism
  • political history
  • local government
  • documentary photography
  • racism and anti-racist history
  • biography
  • family and community memory
  • cultural heritage
  • language and education
  • children's books
  • poetry
  • women's history
  • contemporary community documentation

At first glance, that diversity might appear fragmented.

I now see it differently.

The subjects are different, but there is a common thread:

people, memory, identity, place and the preservation of lived experience.

That is the connection between the different parts of my portfolio.


The archive changed the meaning of the work

One of the most significant developments has been seeing some of this material move beyond my own bookshelves and into institutional collections.

Tower Hamlets Local History Library & Archives holds records connected with the Progressive Youth Organisation under the archival reference S/PYO. The collection includes material associated with my community work and photography.

There are photographic series within that material, including S/PYO/1 and S/PYO/2.

The archive's work with the later photographic material included cataloguing by a Queen Mary University of London History placement student, using captions and contextual information I had supplied.

That is an important transition.

The material began as something I documented.

It became something I published.

It then became something that could be catalogued, searched and preserved within an institutional archive.

That changes the way I think about the responsibility of documenting history.

A photograph is no longer simply a photograph.

A caption is not merely a caption.

A community record can become evidence for someone who has not yet been born.


The importance of bibliographic identity

Another development I had not initially appreciated concerned my identity as an author.

The Legal Deposit Libraries contacted me regarding the attribution of works under the name Mayar Akash.

The correspondence explained that libraries need to distinguish between authors who share the same name and asked me to provide identifying information so that works could be attributed to the correct individual.

This forms part of the wider system of bibliographic authority control associated with the Legal Deposit Libraries and NACO.

It is not an award.

It is not an endorsement of my writing.

It does not mean that a library has declared me an important author.

It is something more practical — and, in its own way, very significant.

It means that the identity behind the publications matters sufficiently within the bibliographic system to require accurate identification.

My name and my publications need to be correctly connected.

For an author, that matters.

Because a body of work has little long-term value if future researchers cannot establish who created it.


I don't need to call myself an expert

This is probably the most important lesson I have taken from all of this.

I don't need to describe myself as a "renowned author."

I don't need to call myself an "authority."

I don't need to claim that an institution has endorsed everything I have written.

Those statements would require evidence that I do not need.

Instead, I can say something much simpler:

I am an independent author, publisher and community historian whose work has developed through decades of lived experience, documentation, photography, research and publication.

That statement is enough.

The record behind it does the rest.


The authority is in the evidence

For me, authority is not something that should be announced loudly.

It should be demonstrated.

It can be seen in the number and range of publications.

It can be seen in the photographs.

It can be seen in the historical records.

It can be seen in the community documentation.

It can be seen in the books.

It can be seen in the archival deposits.

It can be seen in catalogue records.

It can be seen in the effort made to correctly identify an author's work within the bibliographic system.

And it can be seen in the fact that material created decades ago can still be found, examined and potentially used by somebody researching that history today.

That is a different form of credibility from popularity.

It is the credibility of a record.


A portfolio rather than a pile of books

For a long time, I thought about my books individually.

One book was about politics.

Another about youth.

Another about photography.

Another about migration.

Another about an individual.

Another about language.

Another about women.

Another about community history.

But I now see the collection differently.

It is a portfolio.

And the portfolio has a structure.

Documentation

I recorded people, places, organisations and events.

Research

I investigated histories and tried to assemble information that might otherwise remain scattered.

Photography

I created visual records of people, communities and places.

Publication

I turned research and documentation into accessible books.

Preservation

Some of the resulting material has entered institutional archival collections.

Discoverability

Cataloguing and bibliographic records allow material to be found beyond my own personal collection.

That is the journey from personal documentation to public historical resource.


A different kind of historian

I am not presenting myself as an academic historian.

My route has been different.

I came through community work, lived experience, photography, publishing and independent research.

That difference is important rather than something to hide.

There are histories that are written from archives.

There are histories written from academic research.

There are histories written from official records.

And there are histories that begin with the people who were actually there.

My work belongs significantly to that last category.

I am interested in the history that can disappear when nobody bothers to record it.

The photograph that sits in a drawer.

The name that disappears from memory.

The community organisation whose papers are thrown away.

The political campaign remembered differently by every participant.

The shop, street, family or individual that never appears in an official history.

These are the gaps I have repeatedly tried to fill.


From author to custodian

Perhaps the word I have come to appreciate most is custodian.

When you create historical material, you eventually realise that you are not only writing for the present.

You are leaving material for people you will never meet.

A future researcher may approach one of my books differently from the way I intended.

Someone may examine a photograph decades from now.

Someone may use a political reference book to trace a councillor or campaign.

Someone may find a name in an archival catalogue.

Someone may discover a community history because a photograph was preserved.

That is why documentation matters.

You do not always know the future use of the record you create.

You simply have to make sure the record exists.


The position I can now legitimately claim

So, if I were to define my professional position today, I would put it simply:

Mayar Akash

Author • Publisher • Community Historian

Documenting British Bangladeshi, East End and community histories through lived experience, photography, research, publishing and archival preservation.

That description does not exaggerate.

It does not require anybody to call me famous.

It does not claim that an institution has appointed me an authority.

It simply describes the work.

And behind those words is a substantial body of evidence.


The Record Behind the Work

Going forward, I want my portfolio to be understood not simply as a collection of books, but as The Record Behind the Work.

That record includes:

Published Works
Books documenting history, people, politics, communities and culture.

Documentary Photography
Images created during decades of community involvement and observation.

Community Records
Material connected with organisations, campaigns, youth work and community activity.

Research & Documentation
Independent research bringing together primary material, published sources, lived experience and historical references.

Archival Deposits
Material that has moved into institutional collections and archival systems.

Bibliographic Records
The formal library and catalogue systems through which publications and author identity can be identified and discovered.

This is the part of my work that I perhaps did not fully appreciate when I began.

I thought I was making books.

I was also creating a record.


Let the record speak

I have no need to tell people that I am an authority.

I would rather show them the evidence and allow them to make their own judgement.

The books can speak.

The photographs can speak.

The archives can speak.

The catalogue records can speak.

The communities and individuals documented within the work can speak.

And the longevity of the record can speak.

Perhaps that is the most honest form of authority an independent writer can have.

Not:

“I am an expert.”

But:

“This is the work. This is the record. This is where some of it is preserved. This is what I have documented. You can examine it and make your own judgement.”

That is the position I am comfortable occupying.

I am an author.

I am a publisher.

I am a documentarian.

I am a community historian.

And, increasingly, I see myself as a custodian of histories that I have spent a lifetime helping to record.

I don't need to make the claim louder.

I just need to make the record stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment